Sunday 31 May 2009

Green Tsunami

Last night when I was having a drink in the local pub we were talking about how busy we all were in the garden and I said it was like a green tidal wave of plants ...it makes you feel you are always behind schedule. But yesterday and a couple of weeks ago I have had some help for a couple of hours on a Saturday from my friend Di.
Here's the cucumber frame we built for the plants to grow up!
We also built another pea and bean frame - I have mangetout that grow to more than 6ft tall and I am hoping despite germination problems to have a decent crop of borlotti beans that are also a climbing variety.

I harvested my first early potatoes today and cooked them with swiss chard (the recipe said spinach) onion, garlic, cayenne pepper and garam masala - oooh and nearly forgot some black mustard seeds - forgot to take a photo but the spuds were absolutely wonderful and almost sweet (variety SWIFT).
I also transplanted from modules some spinach, scorzonera, endive and leek seedlings.
We did a lot of weeding yesterday and the red cabbages are breathing a sigh of relief as they were becoming throttled by bindweed and thistles.
My pumpkin and zucchini plants are coming on and I am now acclimatising them to outdoor life by transferring them to my outdoor potting table where they are fairly sheltered from the wind. Hopefully they will transplant successfully sometime in the next week.
I am going on holiday in 3 weeks time so the countdown really has begun to get all the seeds and seedlings in!
The tomatoes (Oxheart Italian variety) have their first flower buds on which is very exciting and have flourished since they were planted in their big containers in the glasshouse/shed.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I am telling all my friends who are interested in food and yummy tastes from the garden. Keep going. Photos are great.

    ReplyDelete