Monday 4 May 2009

Seedlings galore!



This is one of about ten outdoor cucumber seeds (Marketmore) I have successfully germinated. I shall have to give some to allotment neighbours as I have too many. I now have to think up a way of making a frame for them to grow up.One possibility is an old wooden frame (that had glass in it but it smashed) which is about 4ft x 3ft. But it may not be big enough.

My greenhouse shelving is groaning with seedlings. I tend to sow in modules and then plant out once the little things have a chance against the bugs and slugs.

It seems to work well. Today I planted out some red cabbage seedlings next to the potatoes that are looking very good. Here is a picture of their cousins the Savoys that are ready to go out to. Just have to decide where now. I have to remember not to plant them where there were cabbages last year (I had loads so that doen't leave much option!)

I also have leeks, more mangetout (the second or third sowing to make sure of consistent crop and not too many gluts), Borlotti beans (not up yet) climbing french bean (yellow and called Meraviglia di Venezia or Marvel of Venice) ordinary french bean.




I also have tomatoes (Cuor di Bue or Oxheart) that look good and coriander. With other herbs like basil I don't sow I just buy a big pot from a supermarket and spilt the plants up into separate pots - you can make 12 out of 1 that way and it lasts all summer - then I freeze as pesto.
I will plant more radish this week. And continue the digging frenzy which has been made very hard (literally) by the lack of rain for almost 2 weeks. The ground is like concrete. I held off watering till today but finally succumbed because everything was looking SO dry.
I weeded my asparagus patch - the spears are now two feet tall. I haven't harvested any as there is only one spear per plant and I don't want to wreck my chances of a bumper crop next year.
I will go up again this afternoon later on and sow courgette seed. I have sent off for more uchiki pumpkin seeds as the seed I saved from last year may be a result of cross pollination and not come true and I may end up with some mutant day of the triffid type squash.














No comments:

Post a Comment