Friday 17 April 2009

First Asparagus


Wow! My first asparagus. Planted the crowns that have the wierdest long roots that you have to settle gently on a mound in a trench last year. This is technically the second year. And you can only pick and eat a few spears so as not to deprive the plant of energy. The third year you can, I believe, pick to your heart's content! A long wait but it should be worth it.

I also planted fifty or so lettuce. Little Gem. Drunken woman - a lollo rosso type. A frisee. Winter Density. Little Gem and Salad Bowl. The last three were given to me by P, my neighbour (the 87 year old who can touch his toes).
I have sprinkled organic slug pellets round them - just a few five or six per plant. I also planted some swiss chard and Greyhound cabbage. It comes up with a pointed tight head apparently. Name indicates fast growth.
My mange tout peas (Carouby de Mausanne seeds saved from last year) are doing well and I will plant them outside next week. They have germinated very well and I am succession sowing so that they produce over a longer period. I had rather a glut last year.
My tomatoes have been transferred from my windowsill at home to the greenhouse up at the allotment. They now have their first true set of leaves. The stalks look thick and healthy and not spindly like some I've grown before.
Today I made a beancurd, sprouting white broccoli and carrot Sichuanese dish. Based on the recipe for Ma Po Tofu in Fuschia Dunlop's book. Chilli Bean paste, fermented black beans, soy sauce and a little sugar and stock. Very good and nearly blew my head off.







No comments:

Post a Comment