Friday 3 April 2009

New Shoots

This morning was one of those still, damp grey days that are actually quite pleasant. Sound seems to be intensified; the birdsong was crystal clear over the hum of traffic from the southern bypass which is the other side of the embankment next to the allotment.I dug over a section of ground to make a new bed - I am changing the way the beds face and digging up the compacted earth under the carpet that I used as paths to give it a breather. I spread mushroom compost over the area and then sprinkled some chicken manure on top of that.I checked my seedlings in the cold frame - they seem to be doing quite well.
But nowhere near as well as P's. He's 87 and can touch his toes! He lives near the allotments and has been coming up here for 40 odd years. He has a greenhouse and shed at home and I popped in for a chat and a cup of tea on the way back to my place. He has more than 1,500 seedlings in plugs ready to go - mostly brassicas and lettuce of various types. Amazing! We all benefit as he is very generous and gives some of them away. Anyway his are benefiting from the warm weather and high humidity in his glasshouse and have come on at a terrific rate.
P gave me some early white sprouting broccoli.

I blanched a handful, cooked it with crispy pancetta a small glug (approx 1tbsp) of red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan. And then mixed it in with spaghetti and fried breadcrumbs. I used about a desertspoon of olive oil with a little chilli oil added. It was fantastic.






















No comments:

Post a Comment